The secret to a successful day is healthy breakfast! A good breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the day. Being health conscious is great, but those busy mornings make you equally time conscious too. And that is when this recipe is one of your best choices for breakfast. Healthy and instant, let’s get started!
- 30 minutes
- 12 idlis
- 1 cup plain oats
- ½ cup semolina (sooji)
- 1 cup yoghurt
- ½ cup water, add more if required
- 1 carrot – grated
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- ½ tsp split chickpea (chana dal)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Coriander leaves – finely chopped
- ½ tsp baking soda – optional
- salt to taste
- Dry roast oats for 2 minutes. I’ve used rolled oats for this recipe.
- Allow to cool and then blend until coarse. Do not make fine powder.
- Next, prepare the tempering. Add oil to a pan. When it turns hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, split black gram and split chickpeas. Saute till they splutter.
- Add the grated carrot and fry for a minute or two.
- Now add semolina and roast for 2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Take a mixing bowl and add the semolina and carrot mixture, pop in oats and sprinkle some salt. Mix well.
- Next add yoghurt and give a good mix.
- Add 1/2 cup water and check consistency of the batter.
- We’re aiming to get the idli batter consistency so add water if required.
- Add coriander and soak the batter for at least 10 minutes.
- Now just before steaming add in baking soda and mix till batter turns frothy.
- Once you’ve added baking soda, avoid letting the batter rest for long.
- Grease the idli plates with oil and pour the batter in the moulds.
- Steam on full for 10 mins.
- Get the idli plates out of the stand and let them rest for 5 mins.
- Use a spoon to scoop off the idlis and serve hot with any chutney you like.
- Get ready to be energized for the rest of the day! 🙂